
The snow sounded like it was pretty good but was going to get better - a lot better!! So we decided to take it easy on Saturday morning and have a good breakfast in our local restaurant "The Mangy Moose' and then we hired some skis - brand new Salomon 160's ideal for quick turns in the trees! (They had pink flowers on too so seemed suitably girly!) And then we were off to the slopes....
What a view!!
Day one the slopes were hard packed and FAST... but WOW it was sooooo AWESOME to be on skis and in the fresh air and just feeling so free and happy and ALIVE!! After a while on the slopes it seemed rude not to go and play in the trees... and there was fresh powder in there :0) For some reason on our first day which was supposidly meant to be easy we went up a lift called Thunder only to come back down under the lift on the mogul field.... ouch... thigh burn!!! We had a late lunch in true US style - pizza! Then having refulled we went up again and then found a lovely run well at the top it was... but at the bottom it was ice ice baby!!
After this my legs were in pieces so it was back to the bar for a well earned beer!
So day 2 - Sunday
We headed straight up to the highest point in Jackson and went to have a look at Corbert's Couloir.... INSANE... I felt sick looking into it - 25feet drop off... the blob in the middle of this photo is a person...

So we decided against doing this... funnily enough and headed out into a massive powder bowl..... we did the same run about 5 times... in and out of the trees.. out in the open field... I was really glad that I had finished when I did the day before because my legs were feeling bouncy and I just loved going through the powder... and there wasn't even a lot of it apparently!! All day it was sort of snowing and after lunch the clouds rolled in more thickly and the locals were talking of a fair few inches due over night so we called it a day fairly early and headed into Jackson Village for a walk about - its about half an hour from Teton Valley where we are staying.. we are only a 3 min ski from the lift so we are def in the right place!
Today..... was one of the best ski days of my life....
Over night there had been about 7inches of fresh powder... it was light and fluffy and just incredible to ski in... involuntary whooping was being done by everyone!!! It was so exciting!! We headed off up to Thunder lift again and then came down through deep powder... my legs were sore from yesterday but it didn't matter... this was worth the pain... it was AWESOME AWESOME! I was in heaven! Then it was back up the lift right to the top and into the powder field but it was blowing really hard up there and it was so painful on the face that we decided to head lower down the mountain and into the trees.... Happy days Ailsa found her powder legs this morning
and so we were all beaming!! Here's Pete in the bowl - again the powder in here was whhhooooooo
I luuuuurrrrrrvvvvvve the trees they are sooooo much fun! ok so I lost my skis a couple of times hugged a tree bashed some branches with my head (thank god for helmets!)... but I laughed a lot too.. Pete and Em are perfect guides on the mountains but especially in the trees and it really helps to get your confidence up! I couldn't get enough of the trees and given that we were the only ones in these trees we just kept doing them over and over... until my legs couldn't do it anymore..
Writing this right now I am exhausted... Ailsa says she has never known me so quiet... I can't even face a beer because I know it will send me to sleep and its 6pm... but I really don't mind feeling like this - in fact I love it and if I feel like this tomorrow then that means we have had another excellent powder day!
Tomorrow we are off to Grand Targhee.... www.grandtarghee.com - looks like it could be another top five day! Bring it on!!
No comments:
Post a Comment