Someone asked me today what am I missing about 'home'... kind of interesting concept as I am trying to convice myself that wherever I lay my hat is home.... and so home is Boston in reality but I knew what they meant...
So here's what I said:
Children's laughter and cuddles - Molly, Markus... my friend's children in Geneva who I used to pop in and see and share a cuddle, a giggle a tickle session or shaking head moment with and who without knowing it totally made me leave my work mode after a stressy hectic day
Evening phone calls with friends and family in the UK - its tough getting home from work and you lot being alseep already... I'm missing our chats especially as its busy at work so I don't have time to call during the day
Geneva friends - its so weird not being able to pop round and share a glass of wine and a chat... or go for a run together at the drop of a hat... I'm sure as Jola pointed out it was tough when I first got to Geneva and I didn't know you well enough to do that with but to be honest I barely remember those days I just remember being able to pop in and for us all to feel at home in each others homes!
The Geneva office - the people, the banter, bonjour bon soiree, light, airy, spacious, windows, a view... replaced by an over rated 'own' office / cage which its very easy to get trapped in and not know come the end of the day whether its been snowing or sunny!
Food is also on the list... I'm sure I will find some great places but if I could get a Fondue over the road or a pizzeria da paola rucola pizza right now I'd be very happy!
The other biggy is skiing... I was very lucky to have some incredible weekends away skiing already this season and wow am i thankful for it now... I'm missing skiing - teh fresh air, the exhileration, the challenges, the achievements, the exercise - the lot - I am gagging to get back on my skis.... Pete and Em - your blog isn't helping this!! Roll on my week off in Feb and my first ski trip Stateside to Jackson Hole with you guys and Ailsa!!
So then on the other hand there are the good things about Boston...
I've met some really lovely people and they have made me feel very welcome indeed and I cannot say a nig enough thank you to them.. from sharing wine, a run, a shopping trip, lunch, dinner etc people have been really kind and supportive here - thank goodness!
Its good to have time to chill out and potter and relax and stop and smell the roses as Carla says!
The city is really beautiful and when the sun shines or its a clear evening it does have a very definite specialness to it and I am enjoying exploring it and I am looking forward to doing that more so as the weather improves.. sailing on The Charles will be a must!
My home... my flat is all mine and that feels good - I've decided where everything goes and what to buy for it and its coming together really well... I cannot wait for my Dining table and chairs to arrive next weekend and my fab new bed to arrive next month... I have chosen real pieces of furniture that I know will be with me for a long time! Every day I feel like it becomes a bit more my home!
So there you have it - its not a comprehensive list of either what I am missing or what is good about Beantown... but it gives you an idea!
Love to you all xxxx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi honey. Just caught up with all the latest on your blogg. THe flat looks amazing, you have done so well to make it look so cosy so quickly.Little bit disapointed that you didn't get a racy car madame!! I'll just have to come over and help you choose one !!TEE HEE! Hope all is ok and you are keeping that chin up high and focusing on exploring and finding exciting things. I've decided to give you a random weekly challange so that you ahve to explore your area a bit more and report back... let's call it challange Josie( rather than Annika)So an easy one to start with...Find your local chemist and buy some cough sweets( just in case you get a cold running in this rediculously cold weather!!) Good luck darlin'. And remember those with kids are used to being woken in the night so if you need to ring get on the phone and do so..whatever the time!! love you masses lucy xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Post a Comment