Sunday, 4 March 2007

More powder and some hiking!

Thursday - we woke up to a grey day but again it had snowed! So off we went again I could definately see us doing 7 staright days of skiing here... how can you take a day off when there is fresh powder to play in!

Pete was left with Ailsa and I on his own today as Emma was on her Steep and Deep course learning to be even more narly on the slopes! It was odd without Em I have to say we all missed our snowboarding buddy!

It was really windy up high so rather than freeze in the -20F temps we stayed low and played in the trees! None of us were feeling on form today - tired legs well actually just tired bodies just meant that we weren't as together as we had been but we still had a great morning! In the afternoon Pete left us girls to it and went off with a couple of guys who were at the same hostel as us and they went hiking! Nutters!!



Which left Ailsa and I to have a long lunch and an 'on' piste afternoon! It took a while for our legs to realise that they were on piste but eventually they got the hang of it and we were whizzing our way down the slopes until we decided that enough was enough and as we couldn't feel our faces after the freezing wind had attacked us on the chair lift we headed for a night out in Jackson Hole!

Friday we awoke to another bright and sunny day and although the legs were battered it was a definite case of 'get over it cos its the last day!' In true girly style I decided that the first pair of skis that I tried were the best and so I went back and got them for the last day and they were fab, really light and manoueverable in the powder and great on piste too!

As it was the last day we were up early and waiting for the lift to open and trying to ignore the signs that said danger of frost bite because although it was sunny it was still -20F! We headed right to the top waited for the all clear from the piste patrol guys and then we were off to get our fresh tracks! Here's a view from under Corberts Coiloir... looks easy hey!!



So as it was the last afternoon Pete decided that as he had found such great powder after his hike I really should see it too! So off we went... up wards and not on a lift!

On the climb up... Pete managed to take a photo so that this looks flat - it wasn't!!




Pete and I at the top!



At the bottom of the first powder field and about to start down the steep bit! What an amazing view though!




Me having a rest after the steep bit before heading into the trees!




End of the day - knackered and only capable of drinking from now on!! Margheritas and beers were well deserved by the end of this very WOW day!



Thanks Pete, Emma and Ailsa for a FANTASTIC holiday... writing this now at home in Boston its quiet without you all. Have to say my legs are still battered and so are enjoying their day off but tomorrow well I wish it was going to be another powder day rather than a day in the office!

1 comment:

matt mary said...

Hi Jo,
What a contrast between Geneva and the States. Spring has arrrived in the garden, blossom on the trees and daffs on the ground. At the moment Molly is outside playing in the garden with Matt.I love reading your blog and now am trying to set up our own one.Take care love Mary.