Monday, 10 August 2009

June / July - Holiday'ing and working in the UK

Photos to come.... sorry they are on Oly's computer at the moment so they will have to be added another time!

Ok so I know its the middle of August and I am only just now writing the June post but its been busy..... and also I kind of got out of the mood... don't ask me why but I did! Sorry!!

So looking back June seems like AGES ago...! So casting my mind back what did I do! Well after Charlie left I was meant to go and do a Triathlon but I found myself booking a flight to the UK to go and see my man for the weekend instead!! So much nicer!!

Then 2.5 weeks later I went home again - this time I was on a mission!! Wedding, chill on holiday, get a job, have a night out with the girls and go to another wedding!!

Oly and I had been invited to Pete and Emma's wedding - the wedding we all thought would never take place... in a nice way... well they had been together for 14 years or something!! It was a lovely wedding, stunning location on the cliffs in Cornwall overlooking an old university haunt of mine Whitsand bay!

Oly and I were staying in a B&B with Damian and Hazel.... it was a fun weekend! Saturday morning we went for a stroll and a paddle in the warm Cornish waters oh and we had a pastie!! In the afternoon once we were all glammed up we went in the car to the wedding. It was lovely - a really Pete and Em service with Bentley playing a staring role!! The afternoon / evening progressed and we drank, ate and danced our way into the early hours... Hazel had a couple of stumbles and we thought she might have hurt her ankles but her dancing just kept getting better and better and so at the end of the evening when we decided to walk up the very steep hill home in the dark we were all game... even in heels!!!

The walk home didn't go quite as planned... will Damian's suit ever recover his roll in the bushes as we walked up the cliff path??


The rest of us thought we had faired ok on the way home until Hazel couldn't walk the next day due to the sprained ankles!! Ouch.... somehow though Haze it only added to your croquet skills on the Sunday!!

On Monday morning Oly and I headed off in the Bongo to check out Cornwall. We headed to Perranporth and straight to the beach! I adore this beach - its so long and beautiful but the surf wasn't my friend and although Oly managed to get out paddleboarding i couldn't get past the surf so I sulked on the beach!!

In the evening we drove a bit east and having found a likely field to park the Bongo in we went to Fifteen (Jamie Oliver's restaurant) for supper. It was a gorgeous evening and we watched the sunset at 10pm and the surfers surf til 11pm! Then it was back to The Bongo and a good night;s sleep in a random field that had spectacular views!!

We woke up and thought right best get going before the farmer finds us... ummmm that didn;t work so well as the battery was flat! Oooops!! AA to the rescue!!


After a trip to the local garage to buy a new battery we headed to the beach... we chilled and then we had a lovely paddleboarding adventure! I got it!!

In the evening we found a cricket pitch to camp on and we cycled to a local beach and watched the seagulls play in the thermals from a romantic cliff top with a bottle of champagne!

In the morning it was time to hit the local beach - WOW! It was a great beach to run on and then to paddleboard from and we spent a few hours out on the warm blue ocean... yep warm and blue - honestly I could've been fooled into thinking we were in the Caribbean!!

That night we drove into Padstein and coaxed our way into a closing fish shop and bought a fabulous supper of mackerel and samphire and then we drove to a random field in the middle of nowhere again! It was all going really well until we decided that we should go and ask the farmer if it was ok to stay in his field... the conversation was ok and they were quite friendly, it was just the metal arm that squeaked when turned that came back to haunt me later that night when the thunder and lightening were booming and I was lying wide awake thinking - "My Mum doesn't even know where I am!!"

The next morning I checked us into a hotel for our last night!! It was still raining and I was done with the whole no shower thing let alone the nightmares of men with squeaking metal arms!! We had a lovely cliff walk in the drizzling rain but it was still stunning!

On Friday it was time to head back to Oly's house and hand over The Bongo to Tim and Fred and then after Oly managed a quick windsurf we went to The Picnic World's - this is a very cool event held on a headland / beach out from Chichester Harbour and its a very unserious 'race' to see who can get there by what means! Annie won a prize for the duckling and I think I won a prize for a not being Oly's imaginary girlfriend and for coming all the way from Boston!!

On Saturday Ailsa and Franco came to Westbourne and we went to meet Oly's parents at the Sailing Club and spend a day on Louise their gorgeous boat. It was a perfect day for us novice sailors and we pootled in a perfectly leisurely fashion over towards Cowes! We all had a go at helming and chilling on the deck... it was simply a perfect English day and we rounded off the day with a swim in the sea - were we really in England???!!!

In the evening we stayed at the Sailing Club for a BBQ and drinks and caught up with everyone - it was nice to finally be able to put names to some of the people I have heard so much about!

On Monday it was back to work... luckily Lucy popped round to relieve the boredom of work and we called Suse and planned our Friday night away!

On Tuesday morning I was up bright and early to get to Reading to meet some people who I would REALLY like to work for!!! The meetings went well and I came away very excited about maybe maybe having a job.... just have to go back to Boston and see if they have the $'s! Tuesday afternoon its fair to say that I left early (Well why not!!) and went to meet Ailsa, Nas and Adam in London.... Bliss!!! Gosh I needed to see my girls - it was so so nice!! Big chats and lots of comments of gosh won't it be nice when we can do this anytime we want to!!

Wednesday I went to Weighbridge and met some people who practically offered me another job... its like the No 9 bus as my Nan used to say - none come along for ages and then 2 come along at once!! My evening was spent debating with Richard and Keith 2 friends / colleagues which job I should go for - no choice really stay in B&R they said!!

Wednesday night it was back to Oly's and then I worked from their on Thursday - it was lovely to have a 'normal' relationship!

Friday morning arrived and it was time for serious girl time!! Susie, Lucy and Jo.... on a mission to catch up in Winchester! Lu and I drove up together and had lunch and then Suse met us in time for afternoon tea and the chatting started!! It was SOOO much fun! I was interrogated over my new love Oly and after a couple of cosmo's and then a lovely dinner we stumbled back giggling to our room. Apparently our giggling was a bit too much because we got told to keep the noise down by reception!!! We still now how to party right girls!!

On Saturday after a great brunch we headed home promising to do it again when I get back! Oly and I were then off to a friend's wedding - it was a lovely wedding, very very English and exactly what the bride Jo had always dreamed except for the rain but that really didn't dampen any smiles!

Sunday it was time for Nan's Birthday party - she was 85 on the Monday so Mum had arranged for a party at her house. Ken, Claire, Dan, Kate, Libby, Erica, Marcus and Edie + Mum, Dad, Terry, Oly and I were there and it was a lovely day.





After Nan's party we had time to pop in and see Susie, Hamish and the delectable Polly and Mima! So nice to see them all and again a great reminder of why I am going home!!

On Monday it was time to have a chill with Oly and then head to Heathrow for the flight back to Boston.

It was so so nice to be in the UK and it made me really realise why I want to come home... roll on 2010 and home home time!!

No comments: