Monday, 26 May 2008

Climbing in Plymouth

This weekend I went to Plymouth! Not Plymouth, Devon, nor Plymouth... Mass... but Plymouth New Hampshire!! Yep I went North rather than south which is where I was thinking that I was going for the last 3 weeks!! Silly if you ask me that there can be a town called the same name only 3 hours apart... but its in different states so.... America I do love you so...!!


So anyway this weekend I had decided to take myself off climbing for the weekend, its a sport that has intrigued me for a few years nwo and so I signed up for a weekend course. Rumney Rocks in Plymouth New Hampshire was the destination and its a BIG rock and ice climbing area! There were so many people there all climbing like spider men and women up the rock faces!


This was our first climb...


It was daunting to say the least but there were a lot of foot and hand holds so it was quite 'easy' apparently... this was the view from the top - taking this photo took a lot of deep breathing!

We did 3 more climbs and then headed back to Plymouth for supper and an early night to rest a weary body! Plymouth NH is soooooo different to Plymouth Devon where I went to university... a real sleepy town although it does have a university but most of the population are into climbing, skiing rather than drinking! Obvious why they aren't into drinking - they don't have a pub called The Duchess!!

The first climb of today was up the right of this picture holding onto the craggy edge and then the next was up the middle, the footholds and handholds were getting smaller and smaller!!!

The one that got away from me... I just couldn't get over the bulge on this one - this gentleman had just got over it the bulge is by his foot but my body wasn't having it and having fallen off 3 times I gave up and went back to the one above... but then I thought I would have another go but my arms had just gone by then! Shame... maybe I'll come back for another go...
We did a couple more climbs but honestly I was broken by then - my arms had nothing left!

So all in all a good weekend - not sure if its really my sport but happy I have tried and maybe I will go again... once I can lift my arms again!!

4 comments:

matt mary said...

Hi Jo what an adventure we are about to embark on one too. Matt is quitting his job and trying out being a boss. Will hopefully get to talk at the weekend. Big kiss Mary

Bro said...

that 'MASSIVE bulge' would have destroyed anyone!!! I think i could just make it out!!

Smiles

Bro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mum & Dad said...

So you can climb , but it is one of those hobbies that is time consuming and can become all consuming. So like T with windsurfing and golf you have to choose , the important thing is you gave it a try - like that item on the menu you just want to try............then having done so will not bother again.

Go Obama!!!

Love D
xxxx