Monday, 8 October 2007

Tough decision followed by a beer with the rugby!

As many of you will know I have been battling with an injury for the last few weeks. There have been lots of laughs about the fact that I somehow seem to have injured / inflamed the muscles in my bum... but it appears that that is a symptom of a complete lack of strength in my lower back/glutes and this coupled with a lot of training and the fact that my hip flexors are very strong so I tend to pull up my legs when I run rather than push up.... basically it all means that according to the physio there is a risk that I won't get round the marathon and worse that I could do more damage....

So on Friday evening after a lot of tears and chats with friends and family I made the decision not to run... there is no way that I want to risk further injury. Yes I want to do a marathon but I want to do it as a fit happy confident runner not as someone who cannot smile her way round!

Boston marathon was always my ultimate goal and so I will look to get a charity place and to complete that in April next year once I have spent some time with the physio and doing things like Yoga and strength training and general cross training rather than just pounding the miles out!

Thank you my support team.... it was a tough decision but I know it was the right one!!!

On a positive note it did mean that I got to have a beer or 3 this weekend whilst watching the Red Sox and more importantly ENGLAND win! Bring on next weekend.......

1 comment:

Mum & Dad said...

Difficult but wise decision Jo. Big hugs from Mum