Saturday, 11 August 2007

Partying til 3am and hiking mountains!

Thursday was a write off.... Wednesday night Terry and I went out for dinner with Camelle and Scott again.... we had a glass of wine or two at Camelle's before going for dinner at Central Kitchen in Cambridge. I had been told this was a great restaurant and it was and the bar upstairs will have to be visited again too! After desert Camelle suggested a game of pool... so we went round the corner to a funny Irish bar and suddenly it was 1am... and as if that wasn't going to hurt enough the next day we then went back to Camelle's and carried on having fun until 3am....

The next morning I was in work at 7.30... but I really wasn't functioning all that well... but the fun was worth the pain!

Terry and I had agreed to go to The White mountains on Thursday night so that we could hike Mount Washington! It really wasn't feeling like a great idea! Terry drove to NH and we stayed the night at a hostel 5 mins drive from the hike start. The hostel was great, cheap, clean, great breakfast and very friendly oh and a really comfy bed!!

6am Friday morning the alarm went off and I was not amused so ignorned it for a while but eventually got up and it was a really lovely day but thankfully not too hot!


We started the hike and pretty much started climbing straight away up the Ammonoosuc Ravine... we were starting at 800m and the top is 1917m! It was a stunning climb/hike/scramble following the stream.






After 2 hours we reached Lake of the clouds hut where we had brunch and then it was off to the top!
We could see everyone getting really dressed up in wet weather gear and warm clothes to complete the hike so we did too but even though this weather made us a bit wary we were fine... I had the power... clapped my hands 3 times and the clouds parted and we had sunshine!!!





The top of Mount Washington is probably one of the ugliest mountain tops I have seen but hey its accessible to everyone by bus, train, car or hiking, clearly we were in the minority who had walked up but we did meet quite a few who were hiking the mountains and they were all really friendly and told us about many more places to go and hike! I will definitely be back!

Here we are at the top, although it was sunny it was chilly due to the wind...


Heading down hill... again great views! We decided to go a different route home and it was really beautiful but very different as we were in the forest for most of the hike.






8 hours after we started out we got back to the car tired but happy! This is where we went up the right hand side of the main peak and across and then down the left hand side! GREAT hike!!

We decided to stop off in North Conway on the way home and get food, petrol etc... however it ended up being a bit of an expensive stop!

Look what I found for 40% off in a little ski shop!! HAPPY DAYS! These are the skis that I loved in Jackson in March and now they are mine.... Roll on the winter I want to go and play!!




One more stop on the way home - what a stunning view!


FAB FAB LUSH LUSH day!!


No comments: