Saturday, 4 April 2009

Skiing the bird for Meg's 30th!

Meg had the great idea of arranging a trip to Snowbird in Utah for her 30th Birthday weekend!

Oly and I met in Salt Lake City on Wednesday night only to be told that there was soooooo much snow falling that they had closed the canyon road so we had to stay in SLC for the night and we would be let into the Canyon / resort once the interlodge had been lifted i,e they had stopped blasting for avalanches and it was safe to enter!!!!

We eventually got onto the slopes on Thursday lunchtime and I have to say it was a bit nerve wracking but the fact that we were skiing in fresh powder on phat boy skis soon quelled the nerves! We went to the top of the resort in the tram (cable car!) and skiied down the cirque... it was amazing!!!!! It was a HUGE powder bowl.... sweet!!!



Sadly our legs didn't love the speed or heaviness of the phat skis until practically the last run, it was a good experience but given that it wasn't going to snow over night I decided to go back to my skis!

Oly and I met up with Lisa, Dave and baby Theo for supper and by 9pm we decided that we were all shattered so wouldn't wait up for Meg and Luke. We all met for breakky the next day though and had a bluebird day on the slopes!





Friday night we had spag bol at home! Very yummy but HOW much did you make Luke - oh cool just enough to last all week!! Good idea!

Saturday was Meg's Birthday so Luke made her wear bunny ears! Very cute hun!!



What a way to spend your Birthday... oh and FYI Meg I am happy to spend the next 40 Birthdays on the slopes with you should you need me to! It will be a struggle clearly but I'll do it for ya!!

In the evening we drank lots of champagne in the hot tub and in the apartment



and then we went to The Steak Pit for a meal and watched the local porcupine show up for his evening meal!!



Here's Dave and Theo enjoying their evening!



Sunday was a day of rest... it was a white out so we went out in our PJ's (well Oly did!) to get breakfast and then we chilled and eventually Oly and I went out to see what the snow was like and we really weren't disappointed!!







Then we rounded the day off with a laze in the pool watching the sun set on another great day!






Sunday night we tried to eat up some of the spag bol by having a huge spag bol bake cooled by chef Curties! It was yummy and we then had a fun game of cards while drinking lychee martinis flown in from the UK and retired early (ish) as we knew the snow was dumping already and we wanted to be on the slopes early!

The snow however was soooo great that yet again we were interlodged! We eventually got on the slopes at 10.30 and blimey what a sight we saw! I love this sequence of photos of Meg - it sums up the amount of powder we had!!














This is Oly at the top of the slope where are your feet Oly?!


On one slope there were photographers - it seemed rude not to pose! Check out these cool pics!






Here's the 4 of us having just had a BRILLIANT ski day!! Tired but very very very happy!


Finally I found a photo of Lisa with the porcupette! I think Lisa likes it more than Theo!



Thanks all for a really great holiday!! See you same time next year!! Welcome to your 30's Meg - what a way to start!! Congratulations!

1 comment:

Bro said...

Wow, wow, and oh yeah...wow!!!